By viewing, interacting with, submitting information to, or otherwise using the Services, you agree to be bound by this Agreement. If you do not wish to be bound by this Agreement, you must not use the Services.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to modify, update, or otherwise change this Agreement at any time. By using this Services after such changes are posted, you agree to be bound by the changes. This Agreement was last modified on January 6, 2014.
All content included in this Site or in or through the other Services, such as text, photos, logos, video, graphics, sound, computer code, and the arrangement and selection of such content, is protected by copyrights, trademarks, and/or other intellectual property rights of Company and/or its third-party content providers. The trademark THE BERKELEY INDEPENDENT, as well as the business names, logos, slogans, trade dress and all other marks on this Site or in the Services are trademarks of Company or its third-party content providers.
You may use material from this Site or the Services only for your own personal, non-commercial use. No portion of this Site or the other Services may be republished, reproduced, duplicated, copied, uploaded, downloaded, posted, transmitted, modified, sold, or otherwise exploited for any purpose that is not expressly permitted by Company or under copyright law. In the event of any permitted copying, redistribution, or publication of copyrighted material, no changes in or deletion of trademarks, author attribution or copyright notices may be made. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading material from this Site or the Services.
If you believe in good faith that your copyrighted work has been reproduced on this Site or through the Services without authorization in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you may notify our designated copyright agent by postal mail or email at the following address: Pamela J. Browning, Post and Courier, 134 Columbus Street, Charleston, SC, 29403, email: email@example.com. This contact information is only for suspected copyright infringement. Contact information for other matters is provided elsewhere on this Site or in the Services.
In certain places, this Site or the Services may allow users to submit comments, forum or chat room entries, blog entries, letters, ideas, photos, videos, emails or other content – either directly to the Site or the Services (including to us through the Site or the Services) or through third party service providers. While we generally would like to permit you to provide content to or through the Site or other Services, there are certain restrictions on your providing content. They are as follows:
1. License: By submitting content, you grant Company a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, fully and freely assignable and sub-licensable license to any rights you have in the content submitted – including, but not limited to, the rights to use, display, publish, translate, reproduce, distribute, modify, prepare derivative works based upon, and perform publicly your content (or any part thereof) online and offline in any form, media or technology now known or hereafter devised. You further agree that Company and its licensees have the right to use your name and likeness in connection with Company's publication, display, modification, distribution or other use of such content. Company is free to use any ideas, techniques, inventions, concepts, know-how, or other information that you provide to Company (whether directly or through its third party service providers) for any purpose whatsoever without compensation or remuneration.
2. Standards: You agree not to submit any content that: (a) infringes on any third-party intellectual property, publicity, privacy, moral (droit moral) or other legal rights; (b) violates any applicable law or regulation; (c) is defamatory, threatening, harassing, obscene, harmful to minors, or child pornographic; (d) is false or misleading; (e) promotes physical or emotional harm in any way; (f) contains any viruses, Trojan horses, worms or other harmful components (including, but not limited to, computer programming routines that may damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information); (g) is commercial in nature, other than as specifically solicited by this Site; (h) constitutes unsolicited junk or bulk email (“spam”); or (i) is tortious or criminal.
3. Warranty / Indemnity: You warrant and guarantee that you own all intellectual property, proprietary, privacy, publicity, moral (droit moral) and other rights to any content that you submit. You further agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us harmless against: (a) any and all claims to the rights to content that you provide to us, (b) any and all claims that someone's rights were violated by our display or other use of the content that you provide to us.
4. Monitoring of Content / Removal: You agree that Company has no responsibility to monitor, review, edit, remove or control any content or other information that you or others submit to us and/or the Site and/or the Services. You further agree that Company may, in its sole discretion, modify, remove or refuse to accept any content for any reason. We may also decline to modify or remove content that you submitted, despite your request. In addition, please be aware that we may not be able to modify or remove certain content, including without limitation content that has been distributed to or relied on by third parties.
5. Release: You agree that you are at least 18 years of age. You agree to release Company (including without limitation, for purposes of thisSection C.5 of the Agreement, the officers, directors, employees, shareholders, owners (including without limitation, Evening Post Publishing Newspaper Group, Inc. and Evening Post Industries), members, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, licensors, licensees, third party contractors, agents, attorneys and representatives of Summerville Communications, Inc.) from any and all liability and obligations whatsoever in connection with or arising from Company's use or non-use of content submitted by you or any third party.
7. No Endorsement / Recommendation: Company does not endorse, recommend, or take any responsibility for any content submitted to the Services by any advertiser, service provider, vendor, or other third-party, even if Company displays such content.
Company has not reviewed all of the sites, or content of sites, that may be accessed from or linked to this Site or the Services. Company is not responsible for the content of any pages or Internet images, information, or data, which are not contained on this Site or the Services. Viewing of any and all other Web sites shall be at your own risk.
Company may at any time, for any reason, prohibit your further use in whole or in part of this Site or the Services. We may also take any action that we deem necessary to enforce this Agreement, and to protect against unlawful or improper use of this Site or the Services. You hereby expressly agree to waive any and all claims you may have (whether currently in existence and/or arising hereafter) against Company for any failure by us to enforce this Agreement, whether against you or a third party. Company's failure to act in a particular circumstance does not waive its right to act with respect to that circumstance or other circumstances.
Without Company's express consent, you may not frame any pages from the Site or the Services, place pop-up windows over pages of the Site or the Services, or otherwise affect the display of the Site's pages or of the Services. Moreover, under no circumstances may you: (i) derive or attempt to derive the source or object code, source files or structure of this Site, the Services, or their content by reverse engineering, disassembly, decompilation or any other means; (ii) attempt to access the accounts of others, or attempt to penetrate security measures of the systems of Company or its affiliates or contractors ("hacking"), whether or not the intrusion results in corruption or loss of data; or (iii) transmit to Company or by means of this Site or the Services any unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail, or any other form of unauthorized or unsolicited transmission. Company grants you permission to link to this Site (without framing it) or the Services, but may revoke this permission at any time for any reason.
In order to obtain certain products or services through this Site or the Services, you may be required to set up an account. In such a case, you will be required to provide certain information about yourself when setting up the account. You may not provide inaccurate or incomplete information. You are responsible for any use of your account, this Site or the Services by anyone using your account password, email address, or other personal identifier. Thus, if for any reason you suspect that your account password or other identifying information has been compromised, you should contact Company at once.
Pursuant to 47 U.S.C. § 230(d), as amended, we hereby notify you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software, or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protections is available at Get Net Wise, www.getnetwise.org.
YOUR USE OF THIS SITE AND THE OTHER SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS SITE AND THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. Company (including without limitation, for purposes of this Section J of the Agreement, Summerville Communications, Inc. and its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, owners, members, agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, licensors, licensees, third party contractors, attorneys and representatives and any other parties involved in creating, producing or delivering this Site, the Services or any of the content, products or services available on or through this Site or the Services) HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND/OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, COMPANY MAKES NO AND DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED: (i) AS TO THE OPERATION OF THIS SITE OR THE SERVICES, AND/OR THE INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS INCLUDED ON OR AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE OR THE SERVICES; (ii) THAT THE SITE OR THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE; (iii) AS TO THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR CURRENCY OF ANY INFORMATION, CONTENT, SERVICE, OR MERCHANDISE PROVIDED ON OR THROUGH THIS SITE OR THE SERVICES; (iv) THAT THE CONTENT OF THIS SITE AND THE SERVICES DOES NOT INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF YOU OR THIRD PARTIES; AND/OR (v) THAT THE SITE, THE SERVICES, THEIR SERVERS, OR E-MAIL SENT FROM OR ON BEHALF OF COMPANY ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
COMPANY DOES NOT GUARANTY THE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO THIS SITE OR THE SERVICES. THE OPERATION OF THIS SITE AND THE SERVICES MAY BE INTERFERED WITH BY NUMEROUS FACTORS OUTSIDE THE CONTROL OF COMPANY.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL COMPANY BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES (OTHER THAN DIRECT DAMAGES) THAT RESULT FROM THE CONTENT OF, USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THIS SITE OR THE SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO RELIANCE BY A USER ON ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM THIS SITE OR THE SERVICES AND/OR DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETION OF FILES OR EMAIL, ERRORS, DEFECTS, VIRUSES, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, WHETHER OR NOT RESULTING FROM ACTS OF GOD, COMMUNICATIONS FAILURE, THEFT, DESTRUCTION, OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO COMPANY'S RECORDS, PROGRAMS, OR SERVICES. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES WHETHER THE ALLEGED LIABILITY IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE), INFRINGEMENT, OR ANY OTHER BASIS – EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LIABILITY. WITH RESPECT TO DIRECT DAMAGES, YOUR REMEDY IS LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100) AND DISCONTINUANCE OF USE OF (AND ANY MEMBERSHIP IN) THIS SITE AND THE SERVICES. YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL APPLY TO ALL CONTENT, MERCHANDISE, AND/OR SERVICES AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THIS SITE OR THE SERVICES.
THESE DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATIONS APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
You agree to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless Company (including without limitation, for purposes of this Section K of the Agreement, Summerville Communications, Inc., and its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, owners, members, agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, licensors, licensees, third party contractors, attorneys and representatives and any other parties involved in creating, producing or delivering this Site, the Services or any of the content, products or services available on or through this Site or the Services) from all liabilities, claims and expenses, including attorney's fees and costs, that arise from, concern, or are connected with your use or misuse of this Site, the Services or their content. Company reserves the right to assume the defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will cooperate with Company in asserting any available defenses and will pay all of Company's attorneys' fees and costs in such defense.
The provisions of this Agreement are intended to be severable. If for any reason any provision of this Agreement shall be held invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part in any jurisdiction, such provision shall, as to such jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of such invalidity or unenforceability without in any manner affecting the validity or enforceability thereof in any other jurisdiction or the remaining provisions hereof in any jurisdiction.
You agree that the laws of the State of South Carolina will govern this Agreement and your use of this Site and the Services. The state and/or federal courts of Berkeley, South Carolina, shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any litigation that may arise out of, or be related to, this Agreement and/or your use of the Site or the Services. You agree to waive any objection based on forum non conveniens or any objection to venue in Berkeley County, South Carolina, of any such action.
Company makes no representation that this Site or the Services (including the content, services or products provided on or through them) are appropriate for or available to locations outside the United States of America; and using this Site or the Services from territories where it is illegal to do so is prohibited. Any offer for a product or service through this Site or the Services is void where prohibited. Use of this Site or the Services is done at your own risk and you are responsible for compliance with all local laws.
You agree that this Agreement and all rights and licenses provided to Company under this Agreement are fully and freely assignable and sub-licensable by Company without further compensation to you.
Except as otherwise specified herein, this Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and Company with respect to this Site, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications or proposals between you and Company with respect to this Site and the Services. You may not modify this Agreement other than by obtaining Company's signed, written consent to such a modification.
The Berkeley Independent can be contacted at the address listed in the "About Us" section of this Site.
Legal notices shall be sent to Company at the following address: Summerville Communications, Inc., Attention: Legal Department, 104 E. Doty Avenue, Summerville, SC 29483. Notice will be considered given upon receipt.
Company is entitled to assume that any address information that you provide to us is correct, and Company may contact you at such address. Notice will be considered given when sent.
Copyright © 2016, Summerville Communications, Inc., an Evening Post Industries company. All rights reserved.