Month all about lovers at library

• Saturday, February 8, 2014

February is Library Lovers' Month – a month-long celebration of libraries of all types: school, public and private. Intended as a time to recognize the value of libraries, it's also a great opportunity for those of us in libraries to share with you some of the services and resources that you might not be aware of.

But have you ever wondered about the people who work in the library? What's it like on the other side of the desk? What called us to this career?

I didn't intend to become a librarian. I was going to be a teacher – an elementary school teacher, to be more specific. During my years attending a private Baltimore area women's college, I worked in the school library to help pay my way. It was more appealing than the other student jobs that were available.

Most of the job initially was checking books out and processing the returns. As a student worker, if you demonstrated reliability, you were allowed to take on other tasks. Summers were often spent doing inventory – which meant carrying drawers of shelf list cards out to the stacks and checking to see what items were missing (after accounting for those designated as having been borrowed). Summer was interesting because the Colts football team held workouts there (I guess I've revealed what generation I belong to).

The library also had some special collections, which included rare documents that were under embargo until a specified number of years passed before they could be viewed, and also artifacts – including an ancient Egyptian mummy (partially unwrapped). I was hooked.

In my career, I have worked mostly as a reference librarian – it might sound dull but I learned the most fascinating pieces of information, such as what is the largest mammal and what can you do for crab soup that has spoiled? (The largest mammal is the blue whale, and there is nothing you can do to save the soup.) Equipment and technology have changed over the years (computers certainly make many aspects of the job easier), but at the heart of it, my job still involves getting people the answers they need, giving them the tools to find and evaluate information, and often, putting into their hands a book that will transport them to worlds of new ideas.

Maybe I started out my career as an accidental librarian, but I've loved every minute of it and I wouldn't have had it any other way. And in a roundabout way, I have gotten to use my teaching skills after all – I just have students of all ages, there are no tests, and every time they walk out of the library with information, a movie to watch or a book they can't wait to read, they all pass with gold stars.

Programs:

•Reel Club: Book/Movie Discussion Group (adults)

Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 2 p.m.

Read the book, watch the movie and then participate in a lively discussion. Book: “The Scarlet Letter” by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Movie: “Easy A.” Rated PG-13; 92 minutes.

•Great Decisions (adults)

Group I – Thursday, Feb. 6 from 2 - 4 p.m. – “Turkey's Challenges”

Group II – Wednesday, Feb. 12 from 4 - 6 p.m. – “Defense Technology”

Group I – Thursday, Feb. 13 from 2 - 4 p.m. – “Islamic Awakening”

Read the briefing materials and come prepared for a good discussion. For more information, contact the Reference Desk at 849-6161 or MtpReference@ccpl.org.

•Second Saturday Writing Critique Group (ages 16 and older)

Saturday, Feb. 8 from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.

Open to all writers. For more information, call the Reference Desk at 849-6161 or email MtpReference@ccpl.org.

•Monday Book Discussion (adults)

Monday, Feb. 10 from 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.

“Half Broke Horses” by Jeannette Walls

•Start Your Garden Now (all ages)

Tuesday, Feb. 11 from 2 - 3 p.m.

Join Master Garden Darren Sheriff as he walks you through the first six months of a Charleston growing season. Stretching with Dr. Erikka for Parents and Tots (all ages)

•STAR Therapy Dogs (all ages)

Saturday, Feb. 15 from 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.

Make a furry friend, and read a book with your new pal.

•Stretching with Dr. Erikka (all ages)

Tuesday, Feb. 18 at 11:30 a.m.

Parents and children of all ages are welcome to join Dr. Erikka Curia, Chiropractor at ChiroLife, for a brief morning session of stretching for good health.

•Mt. Pleasant Cribbage Club (adults)

Tuesday, Feb. 18 from 2 - 3:30 p.m.

Learn to play the classic game of Cribbage or come for a challenging match.

Storytimes

•Babygarten (0 – 18 months with adult)

Wednesdays through March 5 at 10:30 a.m.

Fridays through March 7 at 10:30 a.m.

•Baby Bumblebees Storytime (ages 6-24 months with caregiver)

Thursdays through Feb. 27 at 10 a.m.

•Twos and Threes Storytime (for 2- and 3-year-olds with caregiver)

Tuesdays through Feb. 25 at 10:30 a.m.

•Fours and Fives Storytime (for 4- and 5-year-olds)

Thursdays through Feb. 27 at 11:30 a.m.

•Saturday Storytime (planned for ages 2-6; all ages welcome)

Saturday, Feb. 15 at 1 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 22 at 11 a.m.

To sign up for our monthly email with the Mount Pleasant Regional Library's program calendar, please email MtpReference@ccpl.org

Cindy Schweinfest is the Branch Manager at the Mount Pleasant Regional Library Branch, 1133 Mathis Ferry Road (843-849-6161, MtPLibrary.blogspot.com, CCPL.org).

Comments

Notice about comments:

Berkeley Independent is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Berkeley Independent.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

On Vacation
ERROR: Macro BI/onVacation-widget is missing!
Upcoming Events