Wouldn’t life be easier if everyone just walked around with a big sign listing things they love, things they hate and things they don’t give one whoop about?
So it IS just me. Here’s the deal: Everyone has opinions and I’d like to know them going in, so to speak. That way I wouldn’t get in trouble for saying, “Edward Snowden is a patriot who risked everything to inform the public,” which may or may not cause the man next to me to scream and turn purple.
So… Here are some things I love:
- Puppy breath.
- Flirting with Widdle.
- Eating in restaurants.
- My straight friends, my gay friends--any friend who forgives my sins.
- Moving. Yes, moving.
- Happy perfume.
- Being an American.
- Warm feet.
- Damien Rice, Dolly Parton, Townes Van Zandt, Gram Parsons, the Avett Brothers, Steve Earle and Corrine Bailey Rae.
- Book clubs.
- Saucony running shoes.
- Painting a wall.
- Traveling (which I don’t do much of lately because we have very old parents and a very old dog.)
- David Sedaris.
- “Modern Family,” “Law & Order SVU” marathons and “Cheers” and “MASH” re-runs.
- Playing cards.
- Bible study groups.
- Old cookbooks.
- Local theatre.
- Sun Chips, cucumber salad, Craisin cookies, spinach dip, peanut butter, fresh pineapple, oatmeal, soy burgers, blueberry pancakes and pepper jack cheese (which I don’t eat since I gave up dairy.)
- Pinot grigio. Ice cold.
- “Mississippi Burning,” “Goodfellas”and “O Brother Where Art Thou.”
- Wrapping presents.
- Browsing real estate ads.
- Tickling my dog.
- Decorating blogs.
- Reading presidential biographies, celebrity memoirs and maritime history.
- Thrift stores, junk shops and Craigslist.
- Flying. The airport is a pain, but I LOVE to fly.
- Going to the movies. DVDs are fine, but I prefer the full popcorn/previews/sitting in the dark with strangers experience.
- Folding laundry.
- Window-shopping for clothes, jewelry and furniture I’ll never buy.
- Oak trees.
- Men (and women) in uniform.
- San Francisco; Maine; Asheville; San Antonio; Knoxville; and Key West.
- Spending money.
- Getting rained on.
- Leaving a party. I always feel like such a buzzkill.
- Music boxes.
- Reality TV.
- Talking on the telephone.
- Wet feet.
- Broken shoelaces.
- Saying goodbye at airports.
- Movies depicting violence against women.
- Wearing bracelets.
- Outlook Express. What was wrong with Hotmail?
- Soap operas.
- My sleep number.
- Tattoos/ body piercings.
- The beach.
Julie R. Smith, who is nothing if not opinionated, can be reached at email@example.com.